I'm so glad you're here. Stretching is an essential part and way to love your body, and it's also a great way to relax and de-stress. But with so many different stretches out there, it can be tough to know where to start.
Let’s start from the basics what is stretching, and why is it important?Stretching is a physical activity that involves the lengthening of muscles. It can be done before, during, or after exercise, and it is also a great way to improve flexibility and range of motion. I love to do it in the morning as my wakey wakey!!
There are two main types of stretching: dynamic and static. Dynamic stretching involves moving the muscles through a full range of motion, while static stretching involves holding a stretch for a period of time.
Dynamic stretching is a good way to warm up the muscles before exercise, as it helps to increase blood flow and prepare the muscles for activity. Static stretching is a good way to cool down after exercise, as it helps to improve flexibility and range of motion.
Stretching is important for a number of reasons, including:
- Improved flexibility: Helps to lengthen the muscles, which can improve flexibility and range of motion. This can make it easier to perform everyday activities and reduce the risk of injury.
- Reduced risk of injury: Tight muscles are more likely to be injured, so stretching can help to reduce the risk of injury during exercise and other activities.
- Improved performance: Can help to improve performance in sports and other activities by increasing range of motion and reducing muscle tension.
- Reduced pain: Help to reduce muscle pain and stiffness, both after exercise and in general.
- Improved circulation: Helps to improve blood flow to the muscles, which can nourish the muscles and remove waste products.
- Reduced stress: Stretching can help to reduce stress and tension in the body.
- Forces you to take time for yourself: And yes this is my favorite benefit because you are taking time to take care of yourself and by doing something so beneficial you are telling your body how much you love it and how grateful you are for all it does for you❤️
Do yourself a favor and try different things, for example I know nothing about yoga but are some movements I enjoy doing so my routine is a mix of some of this movements with stretching movements I have learned over the years from videos and trainers, so what I do is try the movements I like and then add them to my routine that way I change my movements and my body doesn’t get used to it😉.
This is a safe and effective activity for people of all ages and fitness levels. However, it is important to listen to your body and avoid stretching to the point of pain.
Here are some tips for stretching safely and effectively:
- Warm up before stretching. This will help to prepare your muscles for stretching and reduce the risk of injury. Or if you like doing it in the morning like me don’t be super demanding to yourself and enjoy the movement.
- Hold each stretch for 20-30 seconds.
- Breathe deeply and evenly while stretching.
- Don't bounce while stretching. This can tear the muscle fibers.
- Listen to your body and stop stretching if you feel any pain.
Remember I am not a doctor or a trainer I am only sharing the things I love, and I think you will love too so If you have any questions or concerns about stretching, be sure to talk to your doctor or a certified personal trainer.
SUPER IMPORTANT, be consistent! Why because when you keep your promises to yourself your selflove and confidence grow because you are constantly telling yourself how much you matter, and you are your priority✨
Let’s remember we are unique individuals and what works for one person not necessarily would work for other. Love yourself, listen to your body and do what works for you❤️.